What the course covers:
- Wine tasting: You will learn how to taste and describe wines using the WSET Systematic Approach to Tasting (SAT)
- Food and wine pairing: You will learn the principles of food and wine pairing
- Wine service and storage: You will learn the correct way to store and serve wine and how to recognise common faults found in wine
- Labelling: You will learn how to decode and understand wine labels
- Factors influencing the style of wine: You will explore how environmental factors, grape-growing, vineyard and maturation options influence the style and quality of the wines made all over the world
- Grape varieties: You'll learn about the styles of wines produced by the key international red and white grape varieties (Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, Merlot and Syrah/Shiraz) as well as the styles of wines made with 22 regionally important grape varieties grown in 70 wine regions (GI's) around the world
- Sparkling and Fortified wines: You will be taught how grape varieties and winemaking processes influence the style of wines in these two key wine categories
The WSET Level 2 Award in Wines has full accreditation from OfQual as a Level 2 Vocational Qualification
No prior wine knowledge is required however the course builds upon the WSET Level 1 Award in Wines which may be a suitable place to begin for some people. We recommend you read the course specification document before you sign up for the course.
This is an online course format running in the afternoon on Monday and Wednesdays, 2-4pm over 4 consecutive weeks.
- WSET Level 2 Award in Wines online course covers the same syllabus as the classroom course and is delivered in LIVE virtual lessons by one of our certified wine educators
- Students receive a complete WSET Level 2 Award in Wines course study pack comprising the course book (a comprehensive guide to the wines of the world 'Behind the Label'), study guide with maps and example questions and forms for your own tasting notes, laminated 'Systematic Approach To Tasting' card
- 16 hours online tuition (8 x 2 hour sessions) and recommended minimum of 12 hours additional home study
- Tutor tastes 12 wines with you on the course (for more details see below)
- You receive access to practice multiple-choice revision questions specific to this course
- You will be sent details of how to join your LIVE sessions when you book
Please note a reliable broadband connection is essential for the completion of this online course as is basic computer skills.
To obtain the WSET Level 2 Award in Wines Qualification, you will need to successfully pass the exam. The exam is made up of 50 multiple-choice questions to be completed in 1 hour. A mark of 55% is required to pass the exam.
The exam is taken online via a Remote Invigilation service. We will arrange suitable time/date with you upon registration.
Course Schedule & Important Dates:
- Registration Deadline: Thursday 2. Late registration may be possible on a case by case basis. Please contact us.
The 8 x 2-hour online classroom sessions run from 2pm to 4pm on the following dates:
- Monday 1st and Wednesday 3rd March 2-4pm (Week One - 2 x sessions)
- Monday 8th and Wednesday 10th March 2-4pm (Week Two - 2 x sessions)
- Monday 15th and Wednesday 17th March 2-4pm (Week Three - 2 x sessions)
- Monday 22nd and Wednesday 24th March 2-4pm (Week Four - 2 x sessions)
The course fee includes:
- All WSET course materials posted to you at no extra charge including; Looking Behind the Label course manual, Study Guide, specification and SAT Tasting Card
- 8 x LIVE virtual, interactive sessions taught by a Local Wine School WSET Certified Tutor
- Exclusive access to practice multiple choice questions
- WSET exam fee
- WSET's Remote Invigilation service *Please note there are some minimum system requirement (contact us for more information)
- Internationally recognised WSET qualification, certificate and pin for those who pass the exam
- VAT at 20% (a VAT receipt is available on request)